Friday, June 18, 2010

90 Days! Here We Go!

Well, here it is. The 3-month mark has come. We officially have 90 days left to make this happen and hope that the final day is relaxing and just plain, good ol’ fun.

I am going to first show what has been done so far and then introduce what I am still working on.

The first step after letting the family know that we eloped and were married but were still having a wedding was to send Save The Dates. I started crafting them in October and November of 2009. What can I say, I get excited and tend to start projects way to early…

My Save the Dates were each handmade using a 5x7 scrapbook style cardstock that came in packs of multi-colored wonderfulness. They were hues of blues, greens, oranges, reds and gold’s. There were definitely some hits and misses as I tried different styles and ideas. All part of the creative process I suppose. The final product was a-ok with me. I ended up getting paper flowers and button shaped brads to accent some and fall themed ribbon, one with acorns and one with sunflowers for others. For some I used both a flower and the ribbon and for some it was one or the other. On the back of each I put on a stick backed magnet so they could be thrown up on the fridge. The actual wording included our names and a calendar with a heart around the date. I printed these myself on ivory paper.
I sent them out in mid January, allowing for people to have a nice head start on planning trips as none of our families live here in Colorado. It might have been a little early but like I said earlier, I get antsy and tend to do things before I really need to. I mailed them in plain ivory envelopes obtained at the always helpful Hobby Lobby, where almost all of my hand crafted creations have gotten their start.

Next came finding a location! Not easy, but it wasn't terribly difficult either. I spent some time on The Knot looking at local Colorado ideas for venues as well as simply googleing like nobodies business to see what I could find. I looked into a few different locations and then decided to try Craigslist and posted an add describing the "envisioned" location. Some beautiful mountain ranch with meadows and fall foliage and a view of the Rockies. Is that so much to ask for? I actually received quite a few responses however most didn't fit either the description, or were too far down a 2 lane road into the heart of the mountains. We did find one we thought might work and went to see it. It was a beautiful home and the views were a great however there just wasn't enough space and the owners who became inspired by our interest decided to make a business out of it, and decided to charge more than most venues and that didn't include being allowed to have a reception on site.
 

Ultimately we decided on the Chief Hosa Lodge. It is run by the Denver Parks Department and it may not have meadows but it does have mountain views and perfect lodge feel that fits my rustic vintage style perfectly. Now booking the details became a hassle. The events coordinator double booked our date after we had sent in the contract and credit card info for the deposit. He then called and wanted us to change the date. AFTER my save the dates had been sent. Not only was it annoying, the date was special, it's the day we eloped and will mark our 1 year anniversary. I wouldn't budge and it was too late at that point to secure another location. Thus creating our Morning Ceremony and Brunch reception. And it turns out it's the best thing that could have happened. Not only did it get us a few breaks on the venue because of his mistake, but catering it turns out is much cheaper too.
 

This brings me to the caterer. This was a no brainer for us. I was able to see their display at the one and only bridal show I attended. They had an amazing fruit and veggie display and a yummy prime rib sample. I scheduled a tasting right then and there. Meet The Food Guy. They are amazing and I love that they have no set menus, anything and everything you want, they will make. Even your grandma’s recipe that you grew up eating and must have at the wedding! They are also doing all of the set up, decorating, clean up, rentals, linens and day of coordinating. They will make announcements, move things along and make sure we are in and out in time. They will be my meltdown interveners. (I hope… I can see myself still having a freak out moment.)


That wraps up today's post. I will soon be posting the Invitaions we chose and where I am getting My bouquets and well as boutoniers and brooches.

3 comments:

  1. kaylee, my name is amber wood and i have the funniest story for you. my fiance matt and i have been planning a rustic vintage themed wedding aswell! we also chose the chief hosa lodge....our wedding is september 25th 2010, or so it was.... until today! apparently due to some clerical error on their part....they have us down for the 18th in the evening....which considering that, it was our wedding that caused havoc for you guys! but we didnt choose that date....on my application signed and sent back to them...we have the 25th. on our permits the have the date as the 18th....oh my heck...so two weeks before our wedding we are having to switch our date...we are settling on september 24th which is just a day sooner....but what the f*$@! with all that info....you couldve had the time you wanted all along....i just dont even know what to say about them:) youre date is right around the corner, sounds like youve made the best of it...heres my email ambeezi1108@comcast.net i would love to hear more of your story about the conflict with that day.

    good luck with everything
    amber wood

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps....since we are doing so many similar things check out our website....it always fun to see other brides ideas...your website is beautiful....i cant believe how close you are to the big!
    http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/amberwood&mattpyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry so many typing errors...im such a mess right now....

    ReplyDelete